Friday, December 5, 2008

Brego is His Name-O

Still trying to think of a good a name, I had began to consider the name “Brego”.  Brego was the horse in the Lord of the Rings movies that Aragorn had once set free in the barn, because his owner had been killed, and he had seen too much of war.  Later on, when Aragorn lay injured by the stream, Brego found him, nudged him awake, kneeled down for Aragorn to get up on him, and took him to safety.  Aragorn rode Brego throughout the rest of the movies.  (This incident and the horse never appear in the books, only in the screenplay.)  Boss looks almost identical to the horse in the movie (but about 2 hands shorter), and I liked the romantic nature of the story, so BREGO it is.  Apparently, "Brego" is an archaic english word for "prince, ruler or king".  Tim made fun of the name at first, thinking it sounds like spaghetti sauce…he was calling him “meatball” or “spaghetti” while I was still making a decision about the name. But, once I decided on it, Tim respectfully began calling him Brego as well.  Tim warned me that I had better be ready to explain the name to people who wouldn’t recognize it.  I knew, and didn’t mind.  (Since then, I've learned to ask the person first whether they’ve seen the Lord of the Rings movies.  If not, the explanation gets shortened to “it was the name of a horse in the movie”.)  There is some information about the horse in the movie HERE.


We're doing more groundwork with Brego, and my attachment to him continues to grow.  He follows me around on my heels, and I love it.  I need to be more careful about not letting him into my bubble!  We both took turns working with him, and he continues to learn quickly.  At one point Tim let Brego into the front pasture alone, for the first time.  He ran across, so excited to run, he held his tail high and his mane flew, it was a beautiful sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment