Monday, November 29, 2010

Two Years

We've had Brego two years now! He's a great horse, and our partnership is coming along nicely. Sometime this year I began to canter with him more, and being more comfortable with that has really helped me turn a corner to be less fearful and more relaxed in other situations as well.

We're able to do many more things with ease, such as side-passing to or over objects, going through tight spots, opening/closing gates, etc. We've also been working on his gait, to get him to be less pacey-bumpy. He's getting better, but we still have work to do.

He likes to "play games", or do ground exercises. I think he'd rather do that than be bored. Yesterday I went out with the carrot stick and lead rope, and he came to me from the far corner, then walked at my side at liberty (no halter/lead rope) into the round pen for work. When we began working, he was quite responsive to cues and did well. Now that's a horse that enjoys the work and partnership! I also can frequently walk him to the mounting block at liberty to stand for me to mount. It's fun to try new things and see what we can do.

It's been a great two years, and I've learned a lot! Now I want to go further and learn to do much more with him, refine my cues, and easily deal with any issues that arise. I'd like to do more with him at liberty, and see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment