Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tim has been getting out the past couple of days to work with Brego a bit, warm him up and get him into a more energetic "working" mode, then I get on and follow up with some exercises Tim suggests.  This has been working well.  Tim has been doing a little groundwork with him, then getting on to work on his gait and also cantering him, to get him into a more relaxed canter.

So far, I've mostly been working on walking straight, speed changes and stopping. We've been "riding the rail" or rather, alongside the fence, to keep Brego going in a straight line.  It's good practice both for Brego and me.  For me, I'm practicing sitting relaxed in the saddle and holding the rein loosely with one hand.  Brego still goes a bit crooked when we get off the fence and go across the pasture, but we're getting better.  This is good. Today I was even successful at getting the back gate open while on Brego.  Tim was going out back with the tractor, and went right by us with no worry on Brego's part.  Later, I was in the barn with Brego, just about to let him out to the paddock when Tim came into the barn on the tractor.  Brego didn't even twitch with the tractor running right next to him.  The fact that I was giving him snacks at that moment may have helped, but he's a good boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment