Friday, January 2, 2009

We delivered Apache to the Miller's, and it was very fun to see Lauren's delight with her new horse.  They took lots of pictures, and emailed later to tell us they had a great first day with Apache.


Later at home I worked with Brego some more doing the games and walking side by side while Tim worked on the roof.  It's good for me to do these things alone some of the time.  It makes me figure it out for myself and remember things on my own without Tim's guidance.  Later, I can go back and ask Tim questions about what happened and what I might do better next time.  I like it both ways--sometimes with Tim watching and sometimes when he isn't around.  I think both ways are helpful.  It's great that we can each work with Brego and develop individual relationships with him.  I did better with the seven games (well, six of them, I didn't do squeezing).  I was trying to drive him with my hands in the air, and that will definitely take some more work, but he catches on to things pretty quickly and likes to please.  I did get him to back up with my hand on his nose, and with some work got him to go sideways by moving the stick back and forth with just a light touch.  He's walking alongside much better, and staying with me, stopping & backing up.


I began watching the Parelli Level One DVD series--the newer version, which I haven't seen before.  I will enjoy going through these, even though some of the information is review or the same things restated.  The written explanations of how to do things are much better than before, and the videos explaining how we learn and apply learning to horsemanship may be helpful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment